De Villiers hand Proteases captaincy

AB de Villiers

Prolific batsman AB de Villiers was on Monday name South Africa`s ODI and Twenty20 skipper while Graeme Smith was retain as Test captain. De Villiers will also be Smith`s assistant in Test while Hashim Amla will be the ODI and Twenty20 vice-captain.

"De Villiers and Amla have been part of new level of leadership that has been built up in Proteas` squad for some time now under the leadership of Graeme Smith," said CSA Chief Executive Officer Gerald Majola at a press meeting here.

Smith had stand down as ODI captain subsequent South Africa`s World Cup disaster in March. "I am obviously very eager, ready to learn. I am really looking onward to this whole challenge. I will work intimately with Hashim and the coach, I have been throughout ups and downs and I am ready to take on everything," de Villiers said.

De Villiers meeting is a change in plan for Cricket South Africa, who had named Botha as Smith`s descendant in the Twenty20 format. Gary Kirsten, whose meeting as South Africa`s coach was also announce on Monday, said de Villiers was the right man for the job.

"I think it`s significant that you are looking at an person whose name is the first or second on the team sheet, that do play a role," Kirsten said.

De Villiers has played 119 ODIs since making his first appearance in 2005 and has scored 4523 runs at a regular of 45.68. He has scored 11 hundreds and 26 half centuries.

Amla said he was satisfied with his new role as vice-captain of the team. "I did take a long time to think about it, I feel it is a huge liability. AB as captain for me is an brilliant move, I have always appreciated him as a person," Amla said.

"I think I am not good sufficient person to handle captaincy. I twisted down Dolphins captaincy to stick to my batting, and when this came up I got it," he added.

0 comments:

Post a Comment