Katich to play on regardless of 'ridiculous' axing


Simon Katich has announce that he will play on for New South Wales after being axed from Cricket Australia's bond list on Tuesday, a decision he slam as "ludicrous". During a press conference at the SCG on Friday morning, Katich was honest in his disapproval of CA and Andrew Hilditch's selection panel, who he said were contradictory and indecisive.

Katich also revealed that he careful taking legal action over his axing, having been Australia's leading run scorer over the past three years, but determined against it. This is the second time in four years that Katich has lost his CA contract, and he said that he and many other players had been harshly treat by the selectors in recent years.

"I'm extremely disappointed and aggravated with the decision that I found out about on Tuesday," Katich said. "I want to make it clear that I know I'm not the only player who has gone through this in the last couple of years due to conflicting selection policies. I just hope that something good comes out of this circumstance because I in fact think the decision that came on Tuesday was absolutely ludicrous.

"It surely didn't come as a total shock on Tuesday, only because I know how they operate. I've been all the way through this location before. From my point of view, to hear the news was very unsatisfactory, particularly because of the reason that was given. To be given the reason that it's because the opening partnership needs to bed down for 2013, when I know for a fact that Watto [Shane Watson] and I have methodically enjoyed opening together, and it's been one of the bright spots of our team in the last two years, I find it very hard to consider that [a new partnership needs to come in].

Katich also criticized the selectors over their handling of Australia's spinners since the departure of Shane Warne and their not have of clarity over the Ashes squad last summer. Prior to the first Test in Brisbane, Hilditch announced a squad of 17 players, which Katich said tinted the indecision of the assortment panel.

"It's not just about me, this is about a number of players who have felt distressed at how they've been treated by the selectors in particular, and not just the selectors but by Cricket Australia," he said. "There are people above the selectors that make decisions on their future and also our players' future, because they ratify the decisions that are made.

"There needs to be more constancy. A week or two before the Ashes a squad of 17 was named. In my opinion, if you can't recognize what your best 11 is a week or so before our biggest Test series that we play in the Ashes, then that to me reeks of indecision. The fact that we've had 10 or 11 different spinners in the last two years ... that to me is another pointer of the inconsistency in selections. There have been rules for some and rules for others."

However, Katich said he was resolute to play on, despite having his Test career efficiently ended. At 35, he believes he still has something to offer the New South Wales side, and he is already looking ahead to the 2011-12 summer.

"I want to keep playing on for New South Wales due to the level of esteem I have for Cricket New South Wales and also my team-mates," Katich said. "I want to repay the faith they've shown in me and optimistically we can have a very good season coming up."

0 comments:

Post a Comment