Dominic Cork retire from cricket game


Former England international Dominic Cork has announce his retirement from cricket at the age of 40.

The all-rounder has called time on a memorable career which brought him 37 Test and 32 one-day international caps as well as taking in spells at Derbyshire, Lancashire and his most fresh employers Hampshire.

"I'm going to leave from all cricket from now," Cork told Sky Sports News.

"It's quite an exciting day for me, it's a hard decision but it's the right decision for me.

"I'm 40 now, I'm not receiving any younger and its hard work, but I've had a great career."

Cork admits his decision was partly aggravated by his desire to spend more time with his family, chiefly following the recent death of his father.

"There were offers out there, I careful them long and hard and looked at where I wanted to be in my life," he sustained.

"Losing my father a month ago, who was one of my biggest inspiration, makes you think about your life and take stock.

"I want to get back to family life - cricket can make you a self-centered person, and it's time to give it back to people."

"Hopefully I'll still be concerned in cricket. I've not really thought about it, maybe a little bit of comments, and doing a bit of PCA work and mainly just staying around cricket - but taking time away from the game with my family and doing a little bit of calming that I've not done for so long."

Cork made his England one-day international first appearance against Pakistan in 1992 and his Test debut in 1995 against West Indies at Lord's, playing his last matches in both forms of the game against India in 2002.

He sustained: "Walking out as a Test cricketer at the home of cricket was a unbelievable moment, I loved every minute of it.

"I suppose I should have played more for England, which was down to me and a few injuries all through my career."

Cork took a hat-trick in only his third Test - the fourth Test next to the West Indies at Old Trafford - setting up a six-wicket England win.

He recalled: "It was strange. It was a Sunday morning and Brian Lara and Richie Richardson were in. It was the first over of the morning, there was barely anybody in the crowd.

"The lucky wicket was Richie Richardson - Junior Murray and Carl Hooper just played around directly deliveries.

"It is a feeling that even now gets the hairs on the back of my neck sticks up because it was such a great day. I loved every minute of playing for England; I just wish I'd played more."

Cork also lovingly recalls playing along Ian Botham, adding: "I can go back to 1981, watching him at Headingley and saying 'I want to be Ian Botham'.
"To be able to play in the same side and warm up with him was just dreamlike. Nobody can take that away."

On his toughest opponent, the Staffordshire-born all-rounder added: "The best bowler I faced would be Wasim Akram - pace, left-arm, swung it and was very hard to face.

"There are two batsmen I would pick. Steve Waugh would be number three, first would be Sachin Tendulkar or Brian Lara. I'd almost certainly just go with Lara because I bowled against him in his pomp, but overall I think Tendulkar has been the better player."

Mike Watkinson, Cork's coach during his spell at Lancashire from 2003 to 2007, hailed a "marvelous competitor" on hearing of the player's retirement.

He said: "I wish him all the best. He was a wonderful participant and I enjoy working with him at Lancashire."

0 comments:

Post a Comment