West Indies training far from idyllic


Chris Gayle is still dominating West Indies cricket in spite of being 10,000 miles away from Dhaka, the venue the second Test next to Bangladesh, which begin on Saturday.

The 32-year-old opener has been persona non grata in the West Indies set-up since criticizing the board and coach Otis Gibson in a radio meeting in April.

It means Gibson is with no his most unhelpful batsman in Bangladesh, where rain insolvent the first Test in Chittagong, which was drawn.

Last week the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) called on their former captain to retract his criticisms if he wanted to be bringing back into the fold.

But Gayle, at present captaining Jamaica in a regional event in Guyana, was quote on the Jamaica Observer's website as saying: "I think they (WICB) are playing mind games with Chris Gayle.

"I have told them that I want to focus on winning this event for Jamaica and I will deal with the regret issue at the end of this competition.

"They need to say accurately what Chris Gayle should apologies for. What in the interview?

"I don't think the board needs to solve this issue. "This needs to be stopped as soon as possible and they require being clear on what I should apologies for.

"This whole thing is sad and I am getting fed up with my name being all approximately, questioning my pledge to West Indies cricket.

"Over the years I have shed blood, sweat and tears for West Indies cricket and it's sad that some would question my pledge to West Indies cricket.

"I stand for what I consider in. That's the type of person I am. Playing once more for the West Indies is in their (WICB) hands."

In Gayle's nonattendance, neither Lendl Simmons nor Kraigg Brathwaite did much to make an impression opening the batting in the first Test.

West Indies were bowled out for just 244 in the first innings reply to the hosts' 350 for nine, albeit in hard situation having seen the second and third days washed out.

Only captain Darren Sammy, batting eight, reached 50, a value the team will need to improve if they are to force a victory in Dhaka.

Bangladesh will expect for more of the same from Elias Sunny, who took seven wickets on debut, and Mushfiqur Rahim, who frightened in his first Test as captain.

0 comments:

Post a Comment