Captain Clarke deliver series victory

Sri Lanka 473 (Mathews 105*, Dilshan 83, Sangakkara 79, M Jayawardene 51, Siddle 4-91) and 7 for 0 drew with Australia 316 (Hussey 118, Marsh 81, Eranga 4-65, Welegedara 3-75) and 488 (Hughes 126, Clarke 112, Hussey 93, Herath 7-157)


Michael Clarke reflect back on one of the best days of his career after secure his first Test series victory as Australia captain and ending his long wait for a century.

Clarke led from the front as his 112 on the fifth day of the third and final Test in Colombo help Australia record a draw that preserved the series 1-0.

That destined a maiden Test series success at the first time of asking for Clarke after he replaces Ricky Ponting as skipper after this winter's 3-1 Ashes beat.

It also follows on from Australia's 3-2 success in the one-day international matches next to the Sri Lankans and, speaking after the draw, Clarke said: "I'm attractive happy and I'm not the only one in that altering room, all the boys are stoked.

"It's been a fantastic tour, both the one-day series and this Test series have surely gone to plan.

"I said before the start of this Test match that our goal was to win every game we play, unluckily that didn't happen but we got the two major results, we won both series, so I'm actually proud of how the boys have played and for myself it was nice to finally get those three figures.

"Everybody has contributed and that's almost certainly the most pleasing thing." He added: "It's as special a day as I've had, no doubt. We put in a lot of work to come on this tour and perform well. It's surely very special, as special as I've had in my career."

The tourists were ultimately bowled out 40 minutes before the scheduled close for 488 today, a lead of 331, with Clarke adding a century to the ton scored by opener Phillip Hughes (126) and Mike Hussey falling for 93.

Rangana Herath claim career-best figures of seven for 157 but he could not halt the Australian charge in time to give his team a possibility of victory.

After Australia was dismissed, Sri Lanka had to bat out two over’s before the captains could shake hands, which they did with the hosts on seven for no wicket.

It was Clarke's 15th Test century but first since his 168 next to New Zealand in March 2010, and the 30-year-old admit it was long overdue.

"It's been a long time since I'd scored a hundred. I've not scored as many runs as I would've liked during this Test series, so to get those three figures is such a huge feeling after so long," he said.

Clarke started the day winning on eight but he soon lost overnight partner Hughes during what the Australia skipper admit was a testing period.

"The start of today felt pretty tough batting, I said to the boys when they ran the first drinks out that's as hard a 20 runs as I've scored in my career," said Clarke, who survive a missed stumping by Prasanna Jayawardene off Herath when on 15.

"Then things got a little bit easier from there, batting with Huss (Hussey) makes a big difference, he's in some huge nick and that allowed me to play my way."

Clarke also admitted he was keen to try and set Sri Lanka a target but felt the wicket was still too good to take any big risk when leading the series 1-0.

"In the back of my mind I was still trying to play positive, if we could get the runs in a quick sufficient fashion to try and set up a bit of a game, but as you've seen as the day outspread the wicket was very good to bat on still. There was a bit of spin and bit of reverse swing, but still a very good batting wicket," he said.

"I'm stoke to have made a hundred; it's been way too long. It’s regarding time I guess. It's a very pleasing and a great feeling to have scored it below tough circumstances."

0 comments:

Post a Comment